Wuliber Martinez, who was burned on about 45 percent of his body, was being treated at UC Davis Medical Center, He was listed in serious condition.
A natural gas leak appears to be to blame for the explosion, which occurred Tuesday at an apartment complex on North Henness Road.
Martinez's wife died after she was taken to a Reno hospital.
Three children -- a newborn and others ages 7 and 10 -- were treated at a hospital and released.
Meanwhile, several neighbors in the apartment building have been displaced.
KCRA.com contributed to this article.