Two-Alarm Fire Guts Mountain View Home

Officials said man was trying to light a fire in the fireplace when his house caught on fire.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC Local Media

    Firefighters put out an early-morning fire that gutted a Mountain View home before dawn Sunday.

    According to Mountain View Fire Department spokeswoman Jamie Garrett, crews responded to a two-alarm fire at 722 Sonia Way around 3:30 a.m. after the man who lived there called 911and said his house was on fire.

    Firefighters arrived on scene about five minutes later to find the house engulfed in flames.
    According to Garrett, the man who lived in the home told firefighters the fire had started when he was "trying to light a fire in the fireplace and it got out of control."

    "He was trying to get warm," Garrett said.

    Luckily, Garrett said, the fire did not spread to any other surrounding homes.

    According to the fire department, the Red Cross is helping the man who was displaced by the fire.

    Personnel from the Mountain View Fire Department, Mountain View Police Department, Palo Alto Fire Department, Moffett Field Fire Department, and the Santa Clara County Fire Associates were all at the scene of the blaze.