Two Bay Area universities made the top 10 list in the 2013-2014 World University Rankings, according to Times Higher Education.
Stanford University was No. 4 on the list of top universities in the world, while the University of California, Berkeley ranked eighth out of 400 universities. That makes Cal the best American public university, according to the list.
A California school, the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), took top honors with an overall score of 94.9 out of 100. Stanford's score was 93.8, and Cal's was 89.8.
The universities are ranked according to teaching, research, knowledge transfer, and international outlook.
Here are the top 10 universities on the list, along with their scores (note: the No. 3 school is missing on the list)
1. California Institute of Technology (Caltech), 94.9
2. Harvard University, 93.9
3. University of Oxford, 93.9 (tied with Harvard for 2nd)
4. Stanford University, 93.8
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 93
6. Princeton University, 92.7
7. University of Cambridge, 92.3
8. University of California, Berkeley (Cal), 89.8
9. University of Chicago, 87.8
10. Imperial College London, 87.5
UC Berkeley has inched up in the rankings for the last two years. Cal was ninth on the list last year and 10th the year before.