Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials - NBC Bay Area
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire: Officials
    Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department

    A hoverboard sparked a house fire early Wednesday morning in Calvert County, Maryland, fire officials said.

    Fire alarms alerted a family about an early-morning fire at their home in the 2000 block of Mount Pleasant Way in Prince Frederick, according to a release from the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department.

    Crews arrived to find visible smoke and a small fire in the basement of the house.

    After putting out the fire, firefighters found "a serious issue" with a hoverboard inside the residence, officials said. They later determined the hoverboard caught fire while charging.

    Olympians Share Their Most Embarrassing School Memories

    [NATL] Olympians Share Their Most Embarrassing School Memories

    From bad school pictures to awkward first day wardrobes, Team USA members can now look back on some of their most embarrassing school moments and laugh.

    (Published Friday, Aug. 18, 2017)

    No one was injured.

    In a press release, the fire department shared tips for hoverboard safety from the National Fire Protection Association, available online here (PDF)