Judge Denies Fort Hood Suspect's Delay Request

By Angela K. Brown
|  Tuesday, Jun 18, 2013  |  Updated 12:43 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Judge Denies Fort Hood Suspect's Delay Request

AP

This undated photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram shows Nidal Hasan. A military judge was to decide Friday, June 29, 2012 whether to further delay the trial Hasan, an the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shootings. (AP Photo/Bell County Sheriff's Department via The Temple Daily Telegram)

A military judge Tuesday refused a three-month trial delay for the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage.

Maj. Nidal Hasan made the request after the judge earlier this month allowed him to represent himself at the court-martial. Hasan said he needed more time to prepare for his "defense of others" strategy, which must show that a killing was necessary to prevent the immediate harm or death of others.

Last week, the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, said that defense strategy failed as a matter of law, barring Hasan from telling jurors that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, Hasan told the judge that he no longer needed more time to prepare, although Osborn said she would give him some additional time. Osborn is expected to set a trial date later Tuesday.

Hasan, an American-born Muslim, faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.

Jury selection was set to begin in late May, then was tentatively moved to early June. It's been on hold as various matters have remained unresolved.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out