Olympic Swimmer Jimmy Feigen Says He Omitted Facts in Rio 'Robbery,' Apologizes | NBC Bay Area
2016 Rio Olympic Games

2016 Rio Olympic Games

Watch All the Action from the Rio Games Live on NBC

Olympic Swimmer Jimmy Feigen Says He Omitted Facts in Rio 'Robbery,' Apologizes

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images - AP
    (Clockwise from top left) Jimmy Feigen, Ryan Lochte, Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz.

    U.S. Olympic swimmer Jimmy Feigen on Tuesday made his first public comments about the incident in Rio de Janeiro last week that involved Feigen, Ryan Lochte and two of their teammates.

    In a written statement provided to NBC News, Feigen admitted to initially leaving out details of an early morning incident at a Rio gas station, saying he omitted the facts to police in an attempt to help Lochte.

    ‘Bathroom Bill’ to Cost North Carolina $3.7 Billion: AP

    [NATL] AP Exclusive: ‘Bathroom Bill’ to Cost North Carolina $3.7 Billion

    The Associated Press used dozens of interviews and multiple public records requests to compile an analysis that shows North Carolina’s “bathroom bill” is expected to cost the state more than $3.76 billion in lost business over a dozen years.

    (Published Monday, March 27, 2017)

    The Aug. 14 encounter was initially described by Lochte as an armed robbery by men posing as police officers, but the tale soon unraveled into an embarrassing controversy.

    By the time a judge ordered Lochte and Feigen to remain in Brazil, Lochte had already left. Feigen eventually paid almost $11,000 to a sports foundation and was allowed to leave Brazil.

    Feigen also said he was given an option to pay a fine rather than wait the month in Brazil for the investigation to conclude, but the amount first suggested was the equivalent of $31,250 and 15 days of community service.

    When Feigen and his attorneys rejected that offer as unreasonable, the prosecutor increased the proposed fine to the equivalent of $46,875, he said. The smaller agreement was eventually reached.

    First of Three Spacewalks Underway at ISS

    [NATL] First of Three Spacewalks Underway at ISS

    Two astronauts left the International Space Station on Friday to prepare the orbiting laboratory for the arrival of commercial space taxis and to tackle some maintenance.

    (Published Friday, March 24, 2017)