Man Arrested in 10-Year-Old Los Angeles Girl's Kidnapping, Search Expands

By Jonathan Lloyd and Toni Guinyard
|  Tuesday, Apr 2, 2013  |  Updated 4:27 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Police announced an arrest Monday in a 10-year-old Northridge girl's kidnapping. Another suspect may have fled to the San Diego area, police said. In this raw video, LAPD Spokesman Andrew Smith addresses reporters on Monday, April 1, 2013.

Police announced an arrest Monday in a 10-year-old Northridge girl's kidnapping. Another suspect may have fled to the San Diego area, police said. In this raw video, LAPD Spokesman Andrew Smith addresses reporters on Monday, April 1, 2013.

Photos and Videos

Search Continues for Kidnap Suspect

Police continued to search for Tobias Dustin Summers, the man police believe is responsible for the kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl. Jane Yamamoto reports for the NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on Sunday, March 31, 2013.

Former Neighbors "Feared" Kidnap Suspect's Family

The man wanted in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl has an extensive criminal history, according to police, and neighbors told NBC4 Saturday night that they "feared" his family when they lived next door. Jane Yamamoto reports for the NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on March 30, 2013.
More Photos and Videos

One person has been arrested in the case of a kidnapped 10-year-old Los Angeles girl who turned up barefoot and wounded in a neighborhood near her own last week.

The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed the arrest Monday afternoon. The subject under arrest is not the man police identified as the primary suspect, Tobias Dustin Summers. NBC 4 Southern California is attempting to obtain details regarding the arrest of the man police identified as 29-year-old Daniel Martinez, of the city's West Hills neighborhood.

Detectives gathered information during the weekend that led to Martinez's arrest, said LAPD Commander Andrew Smith.

Bond was set at $1 million. Police declined to discuss how the two men knew each other.

The search for Summers (pictured, below) has expanded to the San Diego area, Smith said at a mid-day news conference. Smith said that Summers "may have shaved his head to alter his appearance."

"The information on him being in San Diego is very new," said Smith, adding that detectives are still working to verify the lead.

The case involves a 10-year-old girl who was kidnapped from her home in Los Angeles' Northridge neighborhood on March 27 between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. She was taken to several locations in the San Fernando Valley before being dropped off in the Woodland Hills neighborhood.

The victim told police that two men took her from her bedroom.

She walked about a mile to a Starbucks where a passerby recognized her from media reports and alerted police. She was found barefoot and with bruises and cuts on her face at 3 p.m. the same day she went missing, police said.

Police announced last week that Summers, who has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2002 including arrests for assault and battery and kidnapping, was the primary suspect in the case. Summers was released from prison in July 2012 under California’s AB 109, an initiative aimed at easing prison overcrowding and was on "post-supervised release," according to police.

Probation officials believe the 30-year-old is a transient known to frequent the North Hollywood and Devonshire areas. Summers is about 6 feet tall, 160 pounds, with blue eyes and cropped blond hair. He is not a registered sex offender, and authorities said there is no indication at this time that the victim or her family knows the suspect.

 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out