Restraining Order Served Against John Mark Karr

John Mark Karr's Dad: He Left in the Middle of the Night

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Authorities have served a temporary restraining order on John Mark Karr, the man who once falsely claimed to have murdered 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey.

    The order came after a Karr's former fiancee in California told authorities that he threatened to kill her if she revealed his attempts to form a cult of little girls to have sex with him.

    Sandy Springs, Ga., Police Lt. Steve Rose said Tuesday that officers issued a restraining order last week at the request of San Francisco authorities. The order was taken out by 19-year-old Samantha Spiegel, who claimed that he made "ongoing death threats" and "threats of sexual exploitation to children."

    Spiegel was 9 when she met Karr, who was a teacher at her school in San Francisco at the time. Her attorney, Robin Sax, told The Associated Press that Spiegel reached out to Karr after he confessed to killing JonBenet. She wanted to reconnect to find out what happened to her former teacher. But things moved quickly and Karr began contacting Spiegel hundreds of times a day, eventually leading to the death threats.

    Rose said the order was served June 3.

    Karr's 89-year-old father, Wexford Karr, told The Associated Press on Monday that his son stayed at his home in northern Atlanta last week but left "in the middle of the night" a couple of days ago. Wexford Karr said he was not aware of the restraining order or the allegations against his son.

    Karr is living as a woman now, our friends at KING-TV in Seattle tell us, and goes by the name Alexis Valoran Reich. He drew international attention after detailed confession into JonBenet's death. But DNA tests failed to put him at the crime scene.