Saturday Night Live to Become Sunday Afternoon Streamed
We love us some Netflix, we really do, but having a current selection isn't really what its known for. Thanks to a new deal with NBC, hopefully that will change. Another thing to change? I may start watching SNL again, now that I can watch it Sunday instead.
There's a lot coming to Netflix streaming thanks to the deal. Let's just get right to it. The biggest news, as mentioned, is the fact that you'll now be able to streamSaturday Night Live starting the next morning. Netflix is also beefing up its catalog with tons of SNL episodes new and old, as well as prior seasons of popular TV shows including 30 Rock and Friday Night Lights.
We're happy to see it — especially streamed, as who really gets the DVDs anymore? — but we're a little bummed that Saturday Night Live will be the only current-season show to look forward to at the moment. Hopefully this represents a push by Netflix to secure similar deals with broadcasters. Offering up SNL like this seems like a pretty crazy move by NBC anyhow (which, in the interest of full disclosure, owns DVICE's parent company, SyFy). Maybe the company figures it'll only serve to put more eyes on the show, rather than cannibalize its live broadcast.
Want to know what else is on the way? From Netflix:
- Episodes from every season of NBC's signature comedy franchise "Saturday Night Live," including day-after broadcast of the upcoming 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons plus hundreds of episodes from the first 35 years of "SNL."
- Every episode from the last season of the multiple Emmy® Award-winning series "30 Rock," "The Office" and "Law & Order: SVU," as well as earlier seasons of those shows renewed for streaming from Netflix under the current deal.
- All prior seasons - and eventually next year's final season - of "Friday Night Lights," the small-town drama surrounding high-school football in Dillon, Tex.
- All prior seasons of USA Network hits "Psych," the comedy featuring James Roday as a fake psychic who solves crimes with his best friend, Dule Hill; the drama "In Plain Sight," starring Mary McCormack as a U.S. Marshal in New Mexico; as well as all seasons of "Monk," starring Emmy® Award and Golden Globe® Award winner Tony Shalhoub in the title role. Prior seasons of all three shows are available to watch instantly at Netflix for the first time.
- More than 75 prior season episodes of Syfy's mainstay "Battlestar Galactica," as well as prior seasons of the network's popular series' "Destination Truth" and "Eureka" - all streaming from Netflix for the first time.
Netflix, via GeekSugar
For the latest tech stories, follow us on Twitter at @dvice