Chain bookstore Borders filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday, which means at least 12 of its Bay Area branches will be closing.
The store that was infamous for putting mom and pop stores out of business announced it will close 200 stores nationwide to deal with debt and the company's failure to compete with eBooks.
Borders says it will only close superstores, which will help the 40-year-old bookseller plug daily losses of $2 million.
Twelve of the 200 stores being closed are right here in the Bay Area. Included on the list are Borders' Union Square store in San Francisco, its Santana Row store and its store on Blossom Hill Road in San Jose.
Borders plans to close the stores over the next several weeks.
See the full list of stores closing nationally here (pdf) or for a list of the Bay Area stores closing, look at the map or the list below:
View What stores Borders is closing in the Bay Area in a larger map
- 400 Post St., San Francisco
- 4575 Rosewood Drive, Pleasanton
- 2925 El Camino Real, San Mateo
- 50 University Ave., Suite 280, Los Gatos
- Alameda Towne Center, Alameda
- 120 Sunset Dr., San Ramon
- 39210 Fremont Hub, Fremont
- 32111 Union Landing Blvd., Union City
- Santana Row, San Jose
- 925 Blossom Hill Rd., San Jose
- 848 Market St., San Francisco
- 1200 Pacific Ave., Santa Cruz