The NBC Bay Area apps for iOS and Android have been redesigned from the ground up to make it easier for you to stay informed and find important local news and weather quickly.
The app, which was built in-house by the NBCUniversal Local team, has new features focused on timeliness, ease of use and readability, to better highlight the award-winning storytelling from NBC Bay Area.
New features include a feed of the latest stories published, designed to make sure readers know what is happening as soon as possible; an improved alerts inbox that makes it easy for readers to catch up on big news; a new video hub to easily find videos by recency or topic. You can also now sign up for Olympics alerts to get the most urgent news notifications from Tokyo Olympics.
The app also highlights NBC Bay Area's state-of-the-art weather technology. Users can see a full-screen radar to monitor incoming storms, and a detailed forecast includes new information like dew points, UV index and more.
Get a weekly recap of the latest San Francisco Bay Area housing news. Sign up for NBC Bay Area’s Housing Deconstructed newsletter.
To improve readability, the app has a cleaner interface with an optional dark mode, designed to reduce the light emitted by the phone, which could reduce eye strain and improve your phone's battery life.
Here is a full list of new and improved features:
- Dark mode support for all pages
- Latest news feed: Lists articles in reverse chronological order
- Home page improvements: Page will transform based on changes in the news cycle, with different states to highlight the most important information on every visit
- Alerts inbox: Users can now delete stories already read or keep them to review later
- Reading experience: Users can easily swipe left and right to see new stories
- New video hub highlights make it easy for users to watch a series of videos back-to-back
- Videos are organized by both category and recency
- Customized experience: Users can now customize the weather page, deciding what information they first see when visiting the weather section
- More detailed forecast: The forecast now includes new data points such as dew point, UV Index and more
- Improved radar experience: The radar will now expand fullscreen, hiding most interface elements to give the user the biggest map area possible
- Weather alerts: Users can subscribe to alerts, including precipitation alerts, for every location.