Special Olympics Northern California (SONC) will partner with numerous Bay Area community organizations to host the inaugural SONC Health Fair for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
The SONC Health Fair will feature a variety of health disciplines and screenings, along with entertainment and activities, offered 100 percent free of charge. The event is open to all interested individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families – participants do not have to be involved with Special Olympics to attend.
Trained medical professionals will conduct health screenings in a fun and engaging environment. Disciplines will include:
- Health promotion: provides tips on how to improve and maintain good health and nutrition
- Special smiles: provides dental screenings and personal oral hygiene instruction
- Strong minds: a relaxation and anxiety training to help maintain emotional wellness
- Fit feet: a podiatric screening to evaluate problems of the feet and ankles
- Health hearing: provides free hearing screenings
- Opening eyes: provides free vision exams and eyewear (prescription glasses, sunglasses, etc.) as needed