The 25th anniversary Cinequest Film Festival – Silicon Valley, will present 91 World and U.S. film premieres, a stellar lineup of film artists and technology innovators, Maverick Spirit Award events with renowned actor Rosari- Dawson and directing legend John Boorman, plus a new Future of Film Showcase. Cinequest Film Festival 25 (CQFF25) occurs February 24 – March 8th, 2015. Highlights will include:
-- Opening Night Screening and Celebration: February 24, 7:15 p.m., California Theatre: Cinequest Film Festival begins its 25th anniversary celebration with an electric combination of standout cinema and first-rate guests. CQFF25 opens at the majestic California Theatre, with Batkid Begins, director Dana Nachman’s powerful documentary, chronicling the amazing response t- a young cancer patient’s desire t- be the super her- for just one day, wh- “saves” San Francisco. Nachman’s stirring film details the undaunted spirit of Batkid Miles Scott, as the City by the Bay rallies around his “quest,” and captures the astounding social media reaction t- Miles’s wish that exploded around the world. Post-screening festivities and fun will take place at the Farmers Union.
-- Closing Night Screening and Celebration: March 8, 6 p.m., California Theatre: Cinequest 25 concludes its anniversary celebration with a rousing evening of cinematic delight, followed by a typically CQFF blow-out bash. Join writer/director Victor Levin (Mad Men) and star Anton Yelchin (Star Trek) for a screening of the enchanting romantic comedy, 5 T- 7, a refreshingly daring and superbly crafted tale, featuring performances by Yelchin and ex-Bond girl Bérénice Marlohe (Skyfall). The brilliant supporting cast includes Olivia Thirlby (Juno), Eric Stoltz (Caprica), and screen legends Glenn Close (Damages) and Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon). Immediately following the screening, a rollicking farewell t- CQFF 25 and eager anticipation of next year’s fest will occur at the Glass House.
-- Maverick Spirit Award Events: Cinequest’s most prestigious accolade, the Maverick Spirit Award recognizes bold, visionary, and creative forces—the finest in the worlds of Silicon Valley innovation and the film arts. This year’s recipients are actor Rosari- Dawson and director John Boorman.
"Batkid Begins" Director Discusses Film's Premiere
- John Boorman Presents Queen and Country February 26, 7:30p.m., California Theatre: Legendary Director Boorman (Deliverance, Hope and Glory, Zardoz, Excalibur, Where the Heart Lies) showcases his latest masterpiece Queen and Country at CQFF25. '
- An Evening With Rosari- Dawson February 28, 7:30p.m., California Theatre: Screen sensation (Top Five, Sin City, He Got Game, Kids), singer, comic book creator, philanthropist, social activist, the multi-talented Rosari- Dawson is a creative force as well as a dynamic advocate for social justice. A not-to-be-missed conversation with Ms. Dawson, moderated by Jennifer Siebel Newsom (MissRepresentation), will follow the Maverick Spirit Award presentation.
- Past Maverick Spirit guest recipients include Harrison Ford, Neil Gaiman, J.J. Abrams, Kevin Spacey, William H. Macy, Gus Van Sant, Spike Lee, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Sir Ian McKellen, Edward James Olmos, Alec Baldwin and Sir Ben Kingsley. For clips of previous Award winners’ comments, please visit Cinequest’s Maverick Voices video.
"I think the most important thing about Cinequest is it's definitely the first time I've ever come t- a festival where my immediate reaction is, 'What d- I have t- d- t- be invited back?' and that's not normally my reaction. It's a perfect film festival in a glorious place." - Neil Gaiman, Maverick Spirit Award Winner
-- Media Legacy Award Events: Spotlighting writers wh- discover and follow cinematic art and innovation, Cinequest’s Media Legacy Award recognizes the pivotal role journalists play in connecting audiences t- films and technologies, providing insight int- artists, technologists, and the collaborative nature of both disciplines. CQFF 25 recipients are Anne Thompson and Richard von Busack.
- Wild Tales with Anne Thompson February 28, 7:30p.m., California Theatre: Join Anne Thompson for the award presentation and spirited conversation following a screening of the international sensation–and a Thompson favorite– Wild Tales. Six short narratives of wreaked vengeance, with both hilarious and catastrophic results, offer one of the most riotous cinematic rides you’ll ever encounter. A journalism trailblazer and global tastemaker for films and artists, Ms. Thompson’s sterling career includes highly regarded articles for leading publications such as The New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, The Washington Post, Wired, Variety, LA Weekly, Premiere, Film Comment, and IndieWire.
- L’Atalante with Richard von Busack. March 3, 7:30p.m., Camera 12 Cinemas: Revered by Bertolucci and Godard, Jean Vig- was a cinematic genius—L’Atalante his masterpiece. Join Media Legacy Award winner Richard von Busack for a post-screening conversation and award presentation. “The story is fairy-tale simple, yet told with implications that are absolutely modern...a romance set against the iron and smoke of an industrial corridor, on the banks of a canal.... Jean, the newly married barge captain, takes his bride Juliette aboard L’Atalante t- join the rest of the crew.... At first, the voyage is as happy as can be...[but] as the barge approaches Paris, Juliette begins t- be bored, and…” (Richard von Busack, Metr- Newspapers)
- Previous Media Legacy Award recipients include: Eric Kohn of Indiewire, Harry Knowles, founder of Ain’t It Cool News, and Kenneth Turan of The Los Angeles Times. Please watch Cinequest’s Media Legacy video.
--Picture The Possibilities Summit February 28, 3:00p.m., California Theatre: Picture The Possibilities (PTP) by Cinequest empowers global youth with the inspiration, tools, and confidence t- form and realize personal dreams/visions—from art t- science—regardless of whatever difficult situations and challenges they may have in their lives. This year at PTP Summit Silicon Valley, youth from around the world connect with luminaries t- share their creations and empower each other and positively affect the future. The PTP Summit celebrates and fosters the creative force of science, technology, and art. PTP youth and industry notables picture possibilities then set about together t- create and bring them t- reality. Panelist/presenters include: Frederik G. Pferdt, Head of Innovation Programs at Google; Tania Anaissie of Stanford’s d.school; and Ellen McGirt, Senior Writer at Fast Company. Please enjoy Picture The Possibilities Summit video.
--Premieres, Countries, and Star Performances: Ninety-one (91) World, North American and U.S. Premieres from 50 countries include performances by
- Chloë Grace Moretz (Kickass), Juliette Binoche (The English Patient), and Kristen Stewart (Twilight) in Clouds of Sils Maria by director Oliver Assayas (Irma Vep, Paris, je t'aime)
- Simon Pegg (Star Trek, Shaun of the Dead), Alice Braga (Elysium), Luke Hemsworth (Neighbours) in Kill Me Three Times Gemma Arterton (Quantum of Solace) and Fabrice Luchini (Potiche) in Gemma Bovery by director: Anne Fontaine (Coc- Before Chanel)
- Kodi Smit-McPhee (Let Me In, ParaNorman) and Michael Fassbender (X-Men: Days of Future Past, Shame) in Slow West
- Heavyweight legends Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Bernard Hopkins; Mark Wahlberg (Ted, Boogie Nights), Denzel Washington (American Gangster, Flight), Ron Howard (Rush, Apoll- 13), Spike Lee (D- The Right Thing, Inside Man), Mary J. Blige (music artist), and 50 Cent (music artist) in Champs
- Bérénice Marlohe (Skyfall), Anton Yelchin, (Star Trek), Olivia Thirlby (Juno), Glenn Close (Damages), Eric Stoltz (Caprica), and Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon) in 5 t- 7 by director Victor Levin (Mad Men)
- Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs) – Executive Producer for The Center
- Jack O'Connell (Unbroken), Sam Reid (Astronaut Wives Club), Charlie Murphy (Philomena) in ’71 by director Yann Demange (Secret Diary of a Call Girl)
- Charlotte Gainsburg (Nymphomaniac) and Chiara Mastroianni (Augustine) in Three Hearts
- Nandita Das (Earth, Fire) and Aina Clotet (The Wild Ones) in Traces of Sandalwood
- Colin Mochrie (Whose Line Is It Anyway?) in The Anniversary
- Joseph Morgan (The Originals), Ron Perlman (Hellboy), Kate Walsh (Grey's Anatomy), and Walton Goggins (Justified) in Dermaphoria
- Sara Canning (The Vampire Diaries), Michael Eklund (Bates Motel), Christopher Heyerdahl (Hell on Wheels, True Blood), and Torrance Coombs (Reign) in Eadweard
- Hannah Simone (New Girl), stand-up comedian Kosha Patel, and Tiya Sricar (The Internship) in Miss India America by directorial debut of actor Ravi Kapoor (Crossing Jordan, Heroes)
- Martha MacIsaac (Superbad, 1600 Penn), Jodi Balfour (The Best Laid Plans), Jordan Hayes (What If), Alex Ashbaugh (The Canyons), Brandon Jay McLaren (Graceland), and Max Topplin (Suits) in Milwaukee
- Janeane Garofal- (The Truth About Cats and Dogs) in The Assistant (short)
--New Cinequest Future Of Film Showcase. Cinequest, Silicon Valley’s creativity and film institute, now 25 years strong, keenly focuses on the exciting possibilities the future holds. Cinequest’s unique nature and aggregate impact result from a powerful fusion of creativity, filmmaking and technological innovation—transforming our future in thrilling and provocative ways. T- celebrate this legacy, Cinequest announces a breathtaking new Future of Film showcase. Future of Film includes:
CINEQUEST is a vanguard organization that fuses creativity with technological innovation t- empower, improve, and transform the lives of people and communities worldwide, through Picture the Possibilities, Cinequest Film Festival and Cinequest Mavericks Studio.
- Picture The Possibilities by Cinequest empowers global youth with the tools, confidence and inspiration t- form and create their dreams from art t- science--regardless of their situation and challenges. Picture It. Create It.
- Cinequest Film Festival—Silicon Valley showcases premier films, renowned and emerging artists, and breakthrough technology—empowering global connectivity between creators, innovators and audiences.
- Cinequest Mavericks Studi- creates innovative and transformative motion pictures, television and distribution paradigms.