NBC Bay Area / KNTV will team up with Safeway Stores to host “Feed the Need,” a one-day food drive on Saturday, November 19. This year’s food drive includes the collaboration of seven local food banks that serve more than 840,000 local residents each month. The “Feed the Need” food drive will take place at 159 Safeway locations throughout the Bay Area from now through December 27. This is the seventh consecutive year that NBC Bay Area partners with Safeway to host the one-day event to help raise awareness about hunger issues in the Bay Area and help local families.
“We’re proud to once again partner with Safeway and our local food banks to help address hunger issues in our community,” said Rich Cerussi, NBC Bay Area President and General Manager. “Last year’s effort helped to collect more than 920,000 pounds of food and we’re glad to work with our local partners once again, to help families who may be in need.”
“We thank NBC Bay Area and Safeway for bringing attention to the severity of local hunger and for creating a simple way for anyone in our community to help a family in need,” said Kathy Jackson, Second Harvest Food Bank CEO. “The skyrocketing local cost of living is causing more people than ever before to turn to Bay Area Food Banks. We are feeding people in every neighborhood and through this drive you can donate to make a difference in the lives of people where you live.”
For nearly ten years, NBC Bay Area has partnered with Safeway to help stock the shelves of local food banks. In addition to providing on-air promotion, the station will be enlisting the support from hundreds of volunteers – including NBC Bay Area anchors and reporters helping at their own neighborhood Safeway Stores – on Saturday, November 19 to encourage shoppers to donate.
Annual NBC Bay Area Food Drive Kicks Off
On “Feed the Need” day, local residents can visit one of the 159 participating Safeway stores to purchase a $10 bag of food items that will be donated to the local food banks. At each store, shoppers can remove a flyer from the tear pads located in the display area and bring the flyer to a register to purchase the bag of donation food items. Each bag of food will contain pasta and sauce, canned vegetables, soup, and important protein items like peanut butter and canned chicken breast. Once collected, the bags of food will be delivered to food banks for distribution to needy families. The flyers are available for Safeway shoppers to purchase now through December 27.
Catch the NBC Bay Area team at the following locations:
- Morgan Hill (840 E Dunne Ave): Laura Garcia Cannon, Sam Brock, Robert Handa, Ian Cull at 10am
- Santa Clara (3970 Rivermark Plaza): Kris Sanchez, Scott McGrew, Vianey Arana, Chris Chmura at 11:30am
- Livermore (4495 First St): Mike Inouye, Bob Redell, Rob Mayeda at 10am
- Los Altos (160 First St): Raj Mathai, Janelle Wang, Peggy Bunker at 11:45am
- Alamo (200 Alamo Plaza): Jeff Ranieri, Elyce Kirchner at 12 noon
- Los Gatos (470 Santa Cruz Ave): Marianne Favro at 11am
- Vallejo (122 Robles Way): Cheryl Hurd, Christie Smith, Jodi Hernandez at 11am
- Mill Valley (110 Strawberry Village): Terry McSweeney at 12 noon
- San Jose (2980 East Capitol Expressway): Damian Trujillo at 12 noon
- Junior League San Jose
- Payroll Association
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Kiwanis 12
- Kiwanis 34