No Fences Around Major Burns at Burning Man Event This Year - NBC Bay Area

No Fences Around Major Burns at Burning Man Event This Year

Officials surrounded another major burn with fencing the night after 41-year-old Aaron Mitchell's Sept. 2 death

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Better Sleep = Better Grades
    AP
    A Burning Man participant hits a fire ball during a fire baseball game on the playa at the Black Rock Desert near Gerlach, Nev., on Aug. 26, 2008. Burning Man is an annual event which starts on the Monday before, and ends on the day of, the American Labor Day holiday.

    Officials with counterculture festival Burning Man say they won't install fences around major burns at this year's event in the northern Nevada desert, nearly a year after the death of a man who ran into flames of a towering wooden effigy.

    However, the Reno Gazette Journal reports that Burning Man officials said they will plan other security measures but not fencing for large-scale burns. They include more safety personnel and longer protective barriers of volunteers, said Burning Man spokesman Jim Graham. "There will be no fences at the large burns."

    Scheduled for Aug. 26-Sept. 3 in the Black Rock Desert north of Reno, the event attracts around 80,000 people.

    The night after 41-year-old Aaron Mitchell's Sept. 2, 2017 death, officials surrounded the Temple burn, a typically large-scale burn, with fencing as a precaution.

    Burning Man Founder Larry Harvey Dies at 70

    [BAY] Burning Man Founder Larry Harvey Dies at 70

    Larry Harvey, whose whimsical decision to erect a giant wooden figure and then burn it to the ground led to the popular, long-running counterculture celebration known as "Burning Man," died in San Francisco Saturday. Sergio Quintana reports.

    (Published Saturday, April 28, 2018)

    Mitchell deliberately ran into the fire engulfing a 105-foot-tall (32-meter) Man effigy.

    His death was ruled a suicide. Mitchell was originally from McAlester, Oklahoma, but had been living in Switzerland.

    The Reno newspaper also reported recently that the Bureau of Land Management, the federal agency that manages land used for Burning Man, would not discuss whether security protocols would be different this year.

    "Public health and safety is the BLM's top priority during the Burning Man event and the agency will not release details from the security plan that could negatively impact their effectiveness," said BLM spokesman Kyle Hendrix. "Sensitive information from the security plan could be abused if released and has the potential to create additional public health and safety concerns."

    A BLM post-event report suggested that the agency wanted to revamp security requirements for open fire burns. While the Man and the Temple are the largest structures torched on site, a number of other large-scale wooden installations also are ceremonially burned down at the event.

    The post-event report listed a number of incidents of concern, including several involving medical care and firearms.

    Artist Hopes San Jose's Latest Burning Man Sculpture Will Inspire Peace

    [BAY] Artist Hopes San Jose's Latest Burning Man Sculpture Will Inspire Peace

    Downtown San Jose's latest Burning Man sculpture is a 15-foot tall metal sculpture named 'Tara Mechani' - a sculpture that stands for peace and compassion.

    (Published Thursday, April 5, 2018)
    Get the latest from NBC Bay Area anywhere, anytime
    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android