Columbia Journalism School’s 2019 Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Awards honored the NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit for its investigation “Drivers Under Siege.”
Led by senior investigative reporter and anchor Vicky Nguyen and investigative producer Kevin Nious, the series of reports revealed an alarming rise in violent attacks on AC Transit drivers, despite the agency’s claims that the assaults were on the decline.
The Investigative Unit was given the Silver Baton award, which honors outstanding audiovisual reporting in the public interest.
After NBC Bay Area’s reporting, AC Transit launched a safety campaign that includes protective shields for drivers. Local lawmakers also introduced federal legislation to improve safety for drivers nationwide.
The duPont judges called the series “hard hitting” and credited it for bringing the problems to light.
Four local television stations, including NBC Bay Area, were honored this year. Other winners this year include 60 Minutes, HBO and Frontline.
Award recipients will be recognized at the 2019 Alfred I. duPont Awards ceremony at Columbia University’s Low Memorial Library in New York City on Jan. 22.
Read the duPont press release here.
Click here for the complete list of 2019 duPont Awards winners.
Click here to see NBC Bay Area's press release.
Credits for the "Driver Under Siege" series:
- Senior Investigative Reporter/Anchor: Vicky Nguyen
- Investigative Producer: Kevin Nious
- Vice President of News: Stephanie Adrouny
- Assistant News Director: Bob Goldberger
- Photographers/Editors: Mark Villarreal, Jeremy Carroll
- Contributing Reporter: Jodi Hernandez
- Contributing Photographers: Joe Rojas, Michael Horn, Matt Ulrich
- President & General Manager: Stacy Owen
- Digital Special Projects Producer: Sean Myers