Pacific Gas & Electric has released tens of thousands of new emails between utility employees and state regulators amid investigations into alleged back-channel dealings.
A judge two weeks ago ordered PG&E to share about 65,000 emails by Friday.
An Associated Press review of the new emails show additional private conversations between a former PG&E official and state regulators on public utility issues. Emails previously made public showed similar private discussions on matters such as campaign donations and regulatory decisions. State and federal investigators are investigating the alleged back-channel dealings between the utility and regulators.
"Today marks a significant victory in the City of San Bruno’s tireless efforts to expose corruption at PG&E and the CPUC and to promote transparency for the safety and benefit of all citizens,” said San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane.
"San Bruno’s fight for justice originally brought to light a shocking and illegal relationship between the CPUC and PG&E,” Ruane said. “The City’s efforts have now culminated in PG&E fighting — and losing — the battle to keep all 65,000 emails out of the public eye. We look forward to reviewing these records and uncovering the full extent of corruption that we hope will no longer jeopardize public safety.”
Three senior PG&E officials ended their employment with the state's biggest utility after those emails were released and former top state regulator Michael Peevey announced he wouldn't seek reappointment.
“Eight San Bruno citizens died on that horrible night in September 2010 — innocent victims of the same pattern of collusion and deception that we have fought hard to eradicate at PG&E and the CPUC,” Ruane said. “Now is the time for actual accountability, for meaningful reform of both PG&E and the CPUC and for those responsible for the public’s safety to abandon the business as usual mentality that contributed to disaster so that what happened in San Bruno never happens again.”