Alex Fioroni, the owner of Bod Nutrition known as the Nutrition Chef, has designed special diets for many of his San Diego clients who are trying to conceive. Fioroni credits a good diet for his healthy family. He and his wife have seven children between them, with an eighth on the way! Here are Fioroni’s favorite foods and a chili recipe for couples trying to have a baby.
- Goji berries: They contain a lot of antioxidants, vitamins A and C, plus all 18 essential amino acids. They're used in traditional Chinese medicine to promote fertility in men and women
- Floradix, a food-based iron supplement: Some studies show that women with low iron reserves are less likely to conceive
- Beans: also high in iron. Plus, protein from plant sources like beans has been associated with increased fertility
- Grape Seed Oil: It’s one of the oils that has essential fatty acids -- the good fats -- which studies show can help blood flow and balance hormones
- Wheat Grass: It has high levels of folic acid, which is important for preventing birth defects and is a key ingredient for a woman to produce viable eggs
- Maca Root: Grown in the Peruvian mountains, it's packed with zinc. It’s the Nutrition Chef's secret go-to ingredient for men and women looking to boost fertility. Some studies point to zinc as the magic fertility bullet. The editors of fertility.com say at least 15 mg a day can increase semen and testosterone production in men and ovulation and fertility in women
Goji-Maca Sweet n Spicy Chili
Alex M. Fioroni, The Nutrition Chef
1.25 lbs. turkey breast; boneless and skinless, ground
5.75 ozs shallots, chopped
3/8 tsp garlic clove
2.75 ozs green bell pepper, chopped
1.25 whole jalapeno pepper, diced
1.66 cans black beans, organic
0.75 lbs diced tomatoes
2.75 tsp chile powder
7/8 tsp cumin
7/8 tsp thyme
3/8 tsp sea salt
3/8 tsp cinnamon
2 3/8 tbsp agave nectar-organic-cucamonga
1 tbsp arborio rice
1 7/8 ozs goji berries
2.5 tbsp Maca Root Powder-organic
3.75 tbsp grapeseed oil
Heat grape seed oil over medium to high heat. Sautee shallots, garlic, green pepper and jalapeno until translucent and aromatic.
Add ground turkey and sautee with vegetables until no longer pink. Then add black beans (don't drain), diced tomato, chile powder, cumin, thyme, sea salt, cinnamon, agave nectar, arborio rice, goji berries and maca root powder.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes.