Police are investigating after one person died and three children were hospitalized Thursday night in a possible carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Pittsburg.
Just after 7 p.m., Pittsburg police said they responded to a house in the 100 block of Vincent Street. Authorities said a family member told officers that they had not heard from the relatives in several days and were concerned.
When officers arrived at the home, they encountered a man "who was disoriented and incoherent," police said. Once inside, officers found a woman who was unresponsive and three children.
Pittsburg police said they believe everyone inside the house may have suffered from carbon monoxide exposure.
Get a weekly recap of the latest San Francisco Bay Area housing news. Sign up for NBC Bay Area’s Housing Deconstructed newsletter.
PG&E crews responded to the scene, and a very high level of carbon monoxide was measured inside the house, officials said. Police said that four people were taken to nearby hospitals.
Three of the victims were excepted to recover, officials said. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The source of the exposure may have been from a heater inside the home, but crews were still working to confirm the cause of the incident, police said.