Two residents and a firefighter suffered injuries in a two-alarm fire Saturday in San Jose, a fire captain said.
The fire was first reported at 4:29 p.m. on the 3100 block of Marten Avenue, a fire dispatcher said.
The fire started in a bedroom of a one-story, single-family home and spread to the attic, according to Fire Capt. Mitch Matlow. It blew out a window of the bedroom forcing flames to shoot out and melt the vinyl of an adjacent home.
Firefighters kept the fire from doing any more damage to the adjacent home and the residents were not displaced, Matlow said. However, the burning home posed a challenge for firefighters because it had bars on the windows and doors and a steel roof, he added.
The fire displaced the house's six residents -- two of whom suffered minor injuries -- and two dogs, Matlow said. They were treated outside the home and refused transportation by ambulance to a hospital,
The injured firefighter is being treated at a hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, he added.