San Jose firefighters battled a one-alarm fire at a home where they think the illegally wiring of pot grow lights sparked the blaze.
It is unclear if the homeowners or tenants in the 2000 block of Lanier Lane had the legal authorization to grow the marijuana.
But the wiring most likely wasn't allowed, Capt. Reggie Williams said, which is what most likely caused the fire just after 10:30 p.m. on Sunday. It took two hours to control because the electricity lines bypassed the normal routes, making it hazardous for firefighters to go inside at first.
Firefighters pulled out about 70 marijuana plants from the garage.
Everyone got out of the home safely.
*Structure Fire* 2600 Block of Lanier Ln. Confirmed grow house. pic.twitter.com/ykk4v8xN7m
— San Jose Fire Dept. (@SJFD) March 17, 2014