Arrest Reinvigorates Sierra LaMar Volunteers - NBC Bay Area

Arrest Reinvigorates Sierra LaMar Volunteers

More than 200 people showed up Wednesday to search for the missing 15-year-old.



    Arrest Reinvigorates Sierra LaMar Volunteers
    Bob Redell
    Volunteers turned out it droves Wednesday morning to help find Sierra LaMar.

    News of an arrest in the disappearance of Sierra LaMar seems to have reinvigorated the volunteer effort to find the missing 15-year-old Morgan Hill girl. 

    More than 120 people have already signed in this morning at Burnett Elementary in Morgan Hill to join a search party; about double the number of a normal Wednesday morning. 

    By the middle of the day, 200 people had volunteer to help find Sierra LaMar.

    Carol Richardson keeps looking in hopes to bring the family closure and end the "insanity" of not knowing.

    Sierra's mother, Marlene LaMar, tells NBC Bay Area that she knew beforehand that investigators had a person of interest and they told the family on Sunday that they'd be arresting Antolin Garcia-Torres the next day. 

    But Sierra's father, Steve LaMar, said the family did not know that Garcia-Torres was going to be charged with murder. He said they were shocked to find that out.

    Marlene LaMar said that even though she and Sierra shopped at the same Safeway where Garcia-Torres used to work, Marlene Lamar said she does not recognize the 21-year-old Morgan Hill man accused of kidnapping and killing her daughter.

    Sierra LaMar's older sister, Danielle LaMar, said her sister never mentioned Garcia-Torres or even knowing someone at the Safeway.

    Marlene LaMar said she can't imagine her daughter talking with or getting into the car with a man of Garcia-Torres' character and appearance. 

    Marlene LaMar said she agrees with law enforcement that this was a stranger abduction. 
    Investigators also believe that Garcia-Torres murdered Sierra. But without a weapon or body, Marlene LaMar continues to pray that her daughter might still be alive.

    Volunteers will continue the search for Sierra next Wednesday after taking the long weekend off.