Case Against Stow Suspects Argued in LA Court - NBC Bay Area

Case Against Stow Suspects Argued in LA Court

Bryan Stow remains hospitalized after the March 31 assault at Dodger Stadium



    12 Ways to Effortlessly Surprise Your Friends and Co-Workers
    Marvin Norwood, 30, and Louie Sanchez, 29, were arrested on suspicion of beating Giants' fan Bryan Stow, who has been hospitalized since the March 31 confrontation outside Dodger's Stadium.

    Two men accused in the March 31st assault of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow pleaded not guilty during arraignment proceedings Wednesday in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom.

    Case Timeline | Court Document Details Altercations

    Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, appeared before a judge Wednesday morning. The judge ordered both held in lieu of $500,000 bail each, pending a  Sept. 30 hearing on motions.

    The suspects are charged with mayhem, assault, battery and other counts in the beating of the Bay Area paramedic. Stow suffered brain injuries and remains hospitalized.

    During Wednesday's arraignment, prosecutors said Sanchez was overheard making an admission about the attack while in jail and Norward made an admission during an interview. The information was presented in response to the revelation that one of 20 witnesses identified Sanchez in the attack and none identified Norwood.

    Defense attorneys disagreed with prosecutors' contention that the number of people who identified Sanchez is no longer an issue in the case.

    Stow remains hospitalized. His family was in Los Angeles Tuesday for a fundraiser in Santa Monica.

    Prosecutors contend in court papers that the high bail amounts are justified since the severity of the injuries to Stow more closely resembled  "homicide than an ordinary assault.''

    Sanchez has been portrayed in court documents as the primary aggressor. He is accused in several altercations with fans outside Dodgers Stadium after the opening day game against the Giants.

    Related: Key Events on Night of Attack

    Sanchez and Norwood made two court appearances last month. A defense motion to reduce bail for Norwood was denied at one hearing, and a bail reduction hearing for Sanchez was delayed until Wednesday.

    It was at that July 31 hearing that prosecutors submitted documents that outlined their account of the night of the assault.

    Stow and his friends were involved in two altercations with Sanchez and Marvin Norwood after the March 31 Dodgers-Giants game, according to the DA's filing. Stow and his friends walked away from the first encounter, but Sanchez and Norwood continued to follow them in the stadium parking lot, according to the DA.

    As Stow was looking at Norwood, Sanchez punched Stow in the side of the head and knocked him to the ground, according to the District Attorney's filing. Stow's friends then saw his head strike the concrete.

    Sanchez took part in four assaults at the stadium, according to the documents. Before the altercation involving Stow and his friends, Sanchez allegedly threw a drink at a woman inside Dodger Stadium.

    After the game, Sanchez ran at a group of men and swung a fist at one, then approached Stow and his friends, according to the DA.

    On the day before the July 31 hearing at which the DA's account was submitted, a key witnesses identified in the court documents died. Mathew Lee, one of Bryan Stow's friends who witnessed the opening day attack, died as a result of a peanut allergy, according to authorities.