A Walnut Creek couple was displaced from their home Tuesday night after a fire tore through it, Contra Costa County fire officials said.
The residents are in their late 80s, but were able to escape the flames safely, fire officials said.
The fire ignited at a home on First Avenue in Walnut Creek, apparently starting in the garage, investigators said. They believe the vehicle parked inside had a mechanical issue and sparked the fire.
Flames quickly spread to the attic and kitchen, and firefighters said there was heavy damage to the home.
No injuries were reported.