Downtown Napa remained shuttered on Monday, one day after a 6.0 earthquake jolted the heart of California wine country, though power was restored to nearly all of those plunged into darkness by the strongest quake to rattle the region in 25 years.
"Overall, we've made very, very impressive progress," Napa City Manager Mike Parness said at a Monday news conference where a host of city leaders highlighted the damage and the efforts to clean up the damage in the aftermath of Sunday's big quake. "We've been in emergency mode...We hope by tomorrow we will be in recovery phase." Napa Officials Hold Press Conference Day After Quake
Residents, businesses and officials continued to take stock of the damages from the temblor, which sent hundreds to the hospital and left up to 100 homes and buildings uninhabitable. The damage included a fire at a Napa mobile home park, where three homes were destroyed.
And part of a 100-year-old church had to come down Monday because it was on the verge of collapsing. The church is directly across the street from an elementary school, so police and fire officials also decided to shut the road down just in case.
The earthquake, which struck for about 10 to 20 seconds at 3:20 a.m. nine miles south of Napa, was the largest to shake the Bay Area since the 6.9-magnitude Loma Prieta quake in 1989. Napa's fire chief said his team quashed 50 fires.
City Manager Mike Parness said Monday evening that "significant progress" was made Monday, including repairs to 30 water lines that had been reported leaking of a total of 90. Water service will be shut off for residents periodically as water lines are repaired, and Parness recommended that residents boil or run the water before using it after a shutoff.
All power has been restored to PG&E customers in Napa except in red-tagged buildings, Parness said. About 70,000 lost power immediately after the quake and 17,000 were still without power Sunday afternoon.
As of Monday evening, inspections of Napa buildings damaged in the earthquake are about 75 percent complete, and a total of 70 buildings have now been declared uninhabitable, city officials said.
City officials have been conducting inspections throughout the day, and red-tagged an additional 21 buildings since this morning, Napa community development director Rick Tooker said at a news conference.
In 2009, Napa was ordered to retrofit 18 of its historical downtown buildings up to seismic code. Twelve had been, but six were not -- and three of those six suffered the worst damage.
In addition, more than 200 buildings have been yellow-tagged, meaning that residents and owners can return to clean and collect possessions but are unable to stay there for the time being, Tooker said.
In terms of injuries, a total of 208 patients were treated at Queen of the Valley Medical Center on Sunday, though only 17 were admitted, according to hospital president Walt Mickens. Most suffered cuts to their feet and cardiac conditions. One person suffered a cardiac emergency and was still in critical condition on Monday morning.
The most serious patient, identified on Monday as 13-year-old Nicholas Dillon, was airlifted in in serious condition to UC Davis Hospital, after a chimney collapsed on top of him. But his aunt, Carmen Rosales, told NBC Bay Area that the ordeal could have been worse. Her nephew, was having a sleepover on Saturday night, and quickly moved from the air mattress on which he was sleeping when he felt the first jolt. Soon afterward, the fireplace collapsed on the lower half of his body. X-rays show he suffered pelvic fractures, his aunt said, and there is no damage to his spine.
In a statement, the hospital said one person died on Sunday but doctors do not "believe this death was directly related to the earthquake." In addition, parents Connie Navarro and Angel Sanchez gave birth to a baby boy, Ismael Sanchez at 2:37 a.m. Sunday, just before the quake struck. The baby weighed in at 7 pounds, 10 ounces, the hospital reported.
An American Red Cross shelter was established Sunday at the Crosswalk Community Church at 2590 First St. and 15 people spent the night there that night, city officials said. Officials are expecting a similar number Monday night.
Damage was also reported at wineries and tasting rooms central to the region's famed wine industry, which has an estimated annual economic impact of $13 billion in Napa County alone. In nearby Vallejo, city leaders estimated the damage there cost about $5 million.
CoreLogic, which conducts natural hazard assessments, estimated the economic loss from from the quake in the region could range from $500 million to $1 billion.
The early morning wake-up call was shocking.
“We were just sleeping and all of a sudden there was enormous amount of noise and our bed started bouncing from side to side,” said Dandridge Marsh, 37, who works in the wine retail business and lives in Napa with his wife. “You could hear things falling down.”
There were at least 50 aftershocks reported following the big quake.
Street closures are continuing in the areas surrounding buildings at risk of collapse, but officials are working on building barricades surrounding those buildings so that portions of the streets can reopen.
All Napa Valley Unified School District schools were closed Monday to inspect for possible damage. Officials announced Monday afternoon public schools would be closed again on Tuesday. Napa Valley College did not suffer any major damage and will be open on Monday.
NBC Bay Area's Gonzalo Rojas, Jodi Hernandez, Marianne Favro, Shelby Hansen, Bob Redell, Riya Bhattacharjee and Geoffrey Eisler contributed to this report.