A Concord homeowner caught two men burglarizing his home early Monday morning and fired a gun as they fled, police said Thursday.
One of the suspects was later arrested and claimed he had been shot, but Concord police said he actually was injured on a fence while fleeing the alleged burglary, which officers responded to at 4:21 a.m. Monday.
As officers were responding to the reported burglary at the home in the 5500 block of Sepulveda Court, the resident confronted a suspect and fired one bullet at him as he fled, Concord police said.
The suspect, who police identified as 23-year-old Concord resident Ryan Mayo, was later taken into custody nearby.
Police said Mayo called 911 to report that he had been shot in the hand, but officers determined he was not suffering a gunshot wound; he had injured his hand on a fence.
Mayo was arrested on suspicion of burglary and conspiracy. The other suspect in the case remains outstanding. Police described him as a white man in his early 20s who stands 6 feet tall with a thin build.
Anyone with additional information on the case can reach Concord police investigators at (925) 671-3030.