A fire destroyed a substantial part of a Mountain View home Sunday and sent plumes of acrid smoke into the air.
The blaze, which was reported to authorities at around 12 p.m, completely engulfed the garage of a residence at 3362 Villa Robleda Drive.
Fire officials said the blaze started in the garage and then spread to the rest of the home, where it sparked a gas line.
Mountain View firefighters were able to knock down the fire around 1:30 p.m., but more than half the house had already been completely scorched.
Firefighters were able to salvage laptops and backpacks that belonged to children who lived in the home, officials said.
Black and gray smoke could be seen for miles away, while surrounding streets were closed to traffic as firefighters swarmed the area.
Fire crews will be on scene for several hours, officials said Sunday afternoon.