Man Who Died at Point Reyes Was Trying to Save Dog - NBC Bay Area

Man Who Died at Point Reyes Was Trying to Save Dog

Victim was a 59 year old from Richmond



    How the Right Mattress Can Ease Back Pain
    After a three hour search the man was found, but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

    The Sonoma County coroner's office has identified a man who was swept out to sea from a beach in the Point Reyes National Seashore on New  Year's Day as 59-year-old Charles Francis Quaid, of Richmond (pictured below).

    A crew from the U.S. Coast Guard station in Bodega Bay recovered Quaid's body with a 47-foot lifeboat around 4 p.m. He was pronounced dead at  the scene.

    National Park Service ranger John Golda said Quaid and a woman,  whom the coroner's office identified as Quaid's wife, were walking a dog  along the north end of Point Reyes Beach, also known as 10-Mile Beach, around  12:30 p.m. when a large wave knocked the woman and dog to the ground.

    Quaid went to help them. Witnesses said he was able to help his wife, but when he went for his dog he was knocked down by  a series of waves that swept him out to sea.

    Witnesses Watch in Horror as Couple, Dog Swept Out to Sea

    [BAY] Witnesses Watch in Horror as Couple, Dog Swept Out to Sea
    Jean Elle reports from Point Reyes as a rogue waves ended in death for a man who was walking along the rocky shore with his wife and dog.
    (Published Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013)

    Bystanders rescued Quaid's wife and the dog, Golda said.

    The waves at the time were 10 to 12 feet high, which Golda said is not unusual for that stretch of beach, and there was no high surf advisory.

    The Marin County Fire Department was informed of the incident by someone with a cellphone around 12:30 p.m., Battalion Chief Mike Giannini  said.

    Man Dies After Rogue Waves Overtakes Him

    [BAY] Man Dies After Rogue Waves Overtakes Him
    Man's wife and dog were also swept out to the ocean but were able to make it back to shore.
    (Published Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013)

    Both the fire department and a Coast Guard helicopter arrived about 20 minutes later, Giannini said.

    Quaid had drifted into the surf and was no longer visible from the shore, Giannini said. His body was eventually located and retrieved.

    The woman was evaluated by paramedics at the scene and then released, Giannini said.

    The Point Reyes National Seashore's website warns visitors of  "sneaker waves" that can occur at any time and drag beachgoers out to sea. 

    The Southern Marin Fire Protection District, Inverness Fire Department and the California Highway Patrol also responded, Giannini said.

    A multi-agency water rescue team also responded on two jet skis,  Golda said.