A puppy that had a tragic start is recovering from lifesaving surgery but he's not out of the woods yet.
In January, when he was just four weeks old, a 4-year-old child put Mighty Mouse into a microwave oven for about 15 seconds. The chihuahua/terrier mix suffered severe damage to his colon, anus and ears.
Doctors had to do skin grafts and muscle reconstruction to help 2 1/2 pound Mighty Mouse have a fighting chance.
The tiny dog's strong will to live and endurance through pain earned him the name Mighty Mouse from the Hopalong staff.
The group needs $12,000 in donations to help cover the cost of pre-surgery assesment, the surgery and a study to help fund animal safety and educational programs for children.
Anyone interested in helping Mighty Mouse can donate online or send a check to:
Hopalong Animal Rescue
PO Box 27507
Oakland, CA 94602
It's still not known why the child put the puppy in the microwave.