Muni Crashes into Police Car - NBC Bay Area

Muni Crashes into Police Car

There were two separate Muni crashes Friday morning.



    Muni Crashes into Police Car
    Christopher Chen
    The earlier crash occurred shortly before 5:45 a.m. at the intersection of Third and 22nd streets in the city's Dogpatch neighborhood.

    Four people were hospitalized, including two police officers, when a San Francisco Municipal Railway light-rail vehicle struck the side of a police car in the city's Dogpatch neighborhood this morning, authorities said.

    The crash was reported shortly before 5:45 a.m. at the intersection of Third and 22nd streets.

    A Muni vehicle on the T-Third line was traveling north on Third Street when it struck the driver's side of a marked police car, police spokesman Sgt. Daryl Fong said.

    The Muni vehicle was not going at a high speed, fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

    Two officers in the police car suffered minor injuries in the crash, as did the male Muni operator and a female passenger on the LRV, Fong said.

    The two officers were taken to San Francisco General Hospital while the two people on the Muni vehicle were taken to California Pacific Medical Center's St. Luke's campus. All four victims'injuries are not considered life-threatening, he said.

    Bus shuttles took Muni passengers along the T-Third line for about two hours while the intersection was shut down, Muni spokesman Paul Rose.

    Service resumed at about 7:45 a.m. when the intersection was reopened and the Muni vehicle was taken to a maintenance yard for repairs, Rose said.

    Muni crews remained at the intersection as of 8:20 a.m. to repair a traffic signal damaged in the crash, he said.

    Rose said Muni and police officials are continuing to investigate  the cause of the crash.

    In a separate crash Friday morning, a different light-rail vehicle was involved in a crash with a car, a Muni spokesman said.

    The latest crash occurred at 9:13 a.m. near the intersection of Third and King streets and involved an outbound K-Ingleside train, spokesman Paul Rose said.

    Rose said that people traveling in the car refused medical treatment at the scene and that there were no reported injuries in the Muni vehicle.

    Shortly after the crash, Muni began providing bus shuttles to ensure uninterrupted service in the area.

    The scene was cleared by 9:50 a.m., but Rose said that Muni plans to continue the supplemental service for a short time until trains can resume normal service.

    It was unclear what caused the crash, he said.

    "It's too early to tell who was at fault," Rose said. "Just like the other crash, we're going to investigate the incident."

    Bay City News