NBC Bay Area joined forces with Comcast to help raise money for the Japanese relief effort.
Friday, NBC Bay Area took part in an all-day (and night) fundraising drive at the Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Northern California (JCCCNC) in San Francisco.
Causes.com Teams Up With Salesforce.com To Raise Cash
In the first 12 hours they raised more than $300,000.
Bright and early at 7 a.m. volunteers from the Japanese American community staffed a phone bank for viewers to call in and make credit card donations. The phones were manned all the way through midnight Friday with special coverage on the 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. news on NBC Bay Area.
How you can help:
- Online donations can be made at www.jcccnc.org where updates will also be posted.
- Go to our Cause page:
- Checks are also being accepted and can be made out to: Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund and sent to JCCCNC at 1840 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94115. JCCCNC is a 501(C)(3) so donations are tax deductible to the extent of the law.
- Viewers call the direct relief fund line at (415) 529-1322.
All of the money will go directly to the people in the Tohoku region of northern Japan most affected by the devastating earthquake and tsunami. All agencies have agreed that no administrative fees will be taken so that donations can benefit those who need it most.
The Northern Japan Earthquake Relief Fund is a three-fold plan:
- Relief (meeting immediate life saving and survival needs)
- Recovery (sustainability, temporary shelters, post traumatic stress counseling, supplies for children, families, and seniors)
- Rebuilding (community and neighborhood capital and improvement projects and programs)
San Jose's Japantown is also raising money.
The Japantown Community Congress of San Jose also mobilized in response to this strong desire of so many people who want to contribute . The community is taking donations at the Buddhist Church at 640 North 5th Street Friday from 5 p.m to 7 p.m.
Please make checks payable to :
JCCsj with 'Tsunami/Earthquake Relief in the memo line. 100% of proceeds will be sent to the Japanese Red Cross via the Consulate of Japan in San Francisco.
If you are unable to attend in person please send checks to: JCCsj, c/o Yu-Ai Kai, 588 N. 4th Street, San Jose, CA 95112