A teenage boy now faces the prospect of nearly 40 years in prison, after agreeing to a plea deal in a brutal East Bay rape case.
Darrion Miles Jr. appeared in a Contra Costa County courtroom on Friday where he pleaded guilty to most charges stemming from the kidnapping and rape of a Domino’s pizza delivery woman last year.
Miles Jr. was 17 years old at the time of the Feb. 2015 crime, but was prosecuted as an adult. The Antioch teenager wore at monitoring device at the time of the attack that helped investigators identify him.
On Friday, he pleaded guilty to “the majority of charges,” Deputy District Attorney Aaron DeFerrari said. “There was a charge or two that carried potential life in prison, but he opted to take some of the other charges, so he could get 38 years in prison.”
Miles Jr.'s plea deal involved “multiple forcible sex acts against a victim … who is really a survivor,” DeFerarri said about the outcome of a difficult and emotional case.
In court on Friday, Miles Jr. responded only “Yes” or “No” to the questions he was asked, and a statement was read on behalf of the victim’s father,
“The brutal and premeditated crime against my daughter is something no woman should have to endure,” the statement said, in part.
DeFerrari agreed. “It was a tremendously sad case, just a horrible set of facts, a terrible thing to happen. We are so proud, though, of the survivor ... She showed tremendous courage.”