Police Arrest 50-Year-Old Man After High Speed Chase in Connection to SF Officer Shooting - NBC Bay Area

Police Arrest 50-Year-Old Man After High Speed Chase in Connection to SF Officer Shooting



    There's still a lot of questions after a police officer was shot in San Francisco Saturday afternoon. A suspect is behind bars and he's facing a long list of charges. NBC Bay Area's Kimberly Tere reports from San Francisco General Hospital where the officer was recovering. (Published Monday, March 10, 2014)

    Police say they have arrested a 50-year-old San Francisco resident in connection with Saturday's shooting of a San Francisco police officer in the Mission District.

    The San Francisco Police Department announced Sunday afternoon that they arrested one male and two female suspects in San Jose following a high-speed chase through several cities from the East Bay to San Jose.

    The two female suspects were interviewed and released pending further investigation, police said. The male suspect was arrested and identified as Jeffrey Ruano, police said.

    Manhunt Ends After High Speed Chase in SF Officer Shooting

    [BAY] Manhunt Ends After High Speed Chase in SF Officer Shooting
    It was a dramatic ending to a manhunt for a gunman who shot a San Francisco police officer. It started with a high-speed chase from the East Bay to San Jose. It ended with an arrest. NBC Bay Area's Kimberly Tere has more on the manhunt and exactly what happened in the moments after the shooting.
    (Published Sunday, March 9, 2014)

    Ruano allegedly shot a 28-year-old police officer in the shoulder while trying to evade officers in the Mission District at around 2:45 p.m., San Francisco police Officer Gordon Shyy said.

    The San Francisco police officer injured yesterday afternoon has been identified as Adam Shaw, Mission Station. Shaw is currently out of surgery and recovering, police said.

    NBC Bay Area has heard the officer is up and moving and is in good spirits after a lengthy vascular surgery Saturday.

    "Get an ambulance right now. 1377 Florida...I've been hit!," Shaw said as he called for help seconds after being shot during a traffic stop in the Mission District yesterday.

    Ruano allegedly aimed his car at responding police officers as he sped off from the scene, police said.

    Officers shot at the vehicle but the man was not wounded, and his Mustang was found abandoned in Daly City a short time after the incident.

    A subsequent investigation led police to the East Bay, where Ruano was identified in a white sedan with two female passengers at about 11 p.m.

    The California Highway Patrol attempted to stop Ruano on eastbound Interstate Highway 80 at Carlson Boulevard in Richmond, but the suspect refused to yield, Shyy said.

    The suspect then led officers on a chase from Richmond to Danville to San Jose, with speeds reaching up to 100 mph, police said.

    Ruano was finally stopped in San Jose, where he and his two passengers were taken into custody at McKee Road and North 33rd Street. Police said they used spike strips, forcing the car to stop there.

    Following questioning by San Francisco police, the two females were released, and Ruano was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, prohibited person (convicted felon) in possession of ammunition, driving in excess of 100 mph, evading police officers and a misdemeanor warrant, police said.

    So far, no gun has been found, and it is still not clear if the shot that injured the officer actually came from him.

    According to police, Ruano's booking photo will not be released at this time.