SF Students Ingest Rat Poison - NBC Bay Area

SF Students Ingest Rat Poison



    SF Students Ingest Rat Poison
    Getty Images
    A 911 address mix-up may possibly be to blame for the death of six-year-old Ian Uro. Uro was pronounced dead on arrival at 9:45 a.m. when he was taken to the emergency room of the Beth Israel Medical Center.

    San Francisco fire said several students at Martin Luther King Jr. middle school were taken to a hospital after apparently eating rat poison.

    San Francisco Fire Department spokesperson told NBC Bay Area that seven students came in contact with the poison.

    Fire department spokeswoman Lt. Mindy Talmadge said the students got confused and thought it was candy.  Talmage said they found it on the top of a high filing cabinet.  When the children realized it was something else they notified an adult, who in turn called 911.

    "We were notified by a concerned parent who got a phone call from  his daughter saying she and some of her friends had eaten some rat poisoning," Talmadge told Bay City News.  Talmadge said only two students actually ingested the poison and the rest only licked it.

    None of the children showed any signs of discomfort.  The trip to the ER was a precaution, according to officials.

    "This type of poison is basically a blood thinner and it's got a  delayed type of effect," Talmadge said. "The amount (consumed) was so  miniscule that we're not expecting them to have any symptoms at all."