A San Jose State University water polo player banned from campus amid accusations that he sexually assaulted two women appears to have left the country.
Charges against him have not been filed, but officials say an investigation is ongoing.
SJSU President Mary Papazian on Monday addressed the issue by releasing an open letter to everyone.
Papazian in the letter says the university is looking into if informing students about possible sexual assaults and other crimes needs to be improved.
Student Thuy Tran said campus safety is a priority for her. When she found out police are investigating two alleged sexual assaults involving students off campus she became really concerned.
"Usually we get an alert on our phones, but this time we didn't get an immediate alert unfortunately," Tran said.
Some students who found out last week that a SJSU water polo player has been accused of sexually assaulting two fellow students at an off-campus party over the Labor Day weekend say a campus alert should have been swift.
"I felt like they were not hiding information, but not letting students know what's going on," student Travis Carmichael said.
As a result, Papazian in her letter is calling for improving communication during the investigation and the administration plans to re-evaluate protocols for determining when campus crime alerts should be issued.