Authorities are investigating a string of at least nine fires that burned less than a mile apart and in less than an hour in downtown San Jose early Thursday.
Most of the fires burned dumpsters and trash cans. Flames also scorched the side of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity house near San Jose State University, tearing some power lines apart and knocking the power out for those who live nearby.
There was also a dumpster fire at the Delta Gamma Sorority house. The San Jose Fire Department said all of the fires happened between 5:20 and 6:20 a.m. Fire officials are not calling the fires suspicious, but is definitely investigating because of when and where they happened.
Below is a list of locations and times for the small fires:
- 628 S. 10th St; 5:36 a.m.
- 536 S. 8th St.; 5:41 a.m.
- S. 7th Street and E. William Street; 5:51 a.m.
- 360 E. Reed St.; 5:51 a.m.
- S. 7th Street and E. San Salvador Street; 5:53 a.m.
- 780 S. 10th St.; 6:01 a.m.
- 522 S. 7th St.; 6:06 a.m.
- S. 7th Street and E. San Salvador Street; 6:09 a.m.
- 400 S. 7th St.; 6:20 a.m.