Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo Arrested - NBC Bay Area

Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo Arrested



    Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo Arrested

    Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo was arrested early Saturday morning on suspicion of prowling and burglary at a woman's Santa Rosa home, police said.

    Police said Carrillo, a 32-year-old Santa Rosa resident and supervisor who has represented west Sonoma County for nearly five years, was arrested following an early morning call from a Santa Rosa resident.

    Officers were dispatched to a home near Stony Point Road and West Third Street around 3:40 a.m. after a reported someone was trying to enter her bedroom window, police said. En route to the scene, the victim called again to report that the suspect had knocked on her front door, said he was a neighbor and ran away, according to police.

    Police said as officers arrived on the scene, they saw a man walking toward them wearing only underwear and socks and carrying a cell phone. Officers detained the man, who was identified as Carrillo, police said.

    While checking the home, found the victim's bedroom window screen torn open enough so that someone from the outside could reach through and partially open the window, police said. The victim told police that the sound of her window blinds being moved woke her up.

    She told a detective that she knew Carrillo only informally after seeing him around the neighborhood on several separate occasions more than a month ago, according to police. Carrillo was booked into Sonoma County jail in Santa Rosa and bailed out of custody as of this afternoon, according to jail personnel.

    This morning's incident is not the local politician's first brush with the law. Last September, he was arrested on suspicion of battery and disturbing the peace after a fight with another man outside of a San Diego nightclub.

    Carrillo later released a statement saying that he only got into the fight after attempting to defend female friends who were being harassed by the man.

    Prosecutors ultimately decided not to file charges in the case due to insufficient evidence and conflicting accounts of the incident, according to the San Diego City Attorney's Office.