Suspect's Gun Used in OIS Recovered: SFPD - NBC Bay Area

Suspect's Gun Used in OIS Recovered: SFPD

A routine Muni fare inspection turned deadly in San Francisco late Saturday afternoon.



    About 100 people walked in protest against an officer involved shooting in San Francisco that left a young man dead. (Published Sunday, July 17, 2011)

    San Francisco's police chief says his officers have retrieved a gun a suspect used to fire on officers during a foot  chase in the City's Mission District Saturday afternoon.

    A police officer shot and killed the unidentified man around 4:45 p.m. Saturday at Oakdale and Third streets.

    Two uniformed officers initially detained the 19-year-old man on a Muni  platform following a routine fare inspection check on the light rail.  Police say he fired his gun at officers as he was running away

    Chief Greg Suhr told KGO someone picked up the suspect's hand gun in the moments after the shooting and ran away. He credits multiple cell phone videos from the scene for helping police catch up with the person who look it. When asked if he was sure the firearm police obtained was the one used to shoot at police, Suhr said he was confident that it was the suspect's weapon.

    He did not identify the suspect, but said he had a criminal record.

    The shooting sparked a overnight protest in the Mission and Bayview districts.
    The angry, but mostly controlled crowd gathered near 16th and Valencia streets for an impromptu demonstration around 1 a.m. Sunday morning.  Police said there were reports of garbage being thrown into the street and several newspaper racks being overturned, but  they made no arrests.

    The SFPD explain the officer-involved-shooting nvestigation this way in a published release:

    Information is still preliminary. The officers detained a 19 year old male suspect on the Muni light rail platform.  This suspect then ran from the police officers who pursued him on foot.  It appears that the suspect was armed with a gun and fired at the pursuing officers. At least one of the officers returned fire, in self defense, wounding the suspect. The suspect was transported to the hospital with life threatening injuries. He was pronounced deceased at 7:01 p.m.

    Chief Suhr said the department would hold a news conference on the incident in the coming days.