Thousands Run in Bay to Breakers Race in San Francisco Following 25-Minute Delay - NBC Bay Area

Thousands Run in Bay to Breakers Race in San Francisco Following 25-Minute Delay



    There were no major problems at the 103rd Bay to Breakers race. Tens of thousands filled San Francisco streets for the yearly tradition. And police said although there were dozens of arrests, for the most part, the race went smoothly. NBC Bay Area’s Monte Francis reports from the finish line on the Great Highway with details. (Published Sunday, May 18, 2014)

    Geoffrey Kenisi was the first male and Diane Johnson was the first female of thousands of people to cross the finish line in the 103rd Bay to Breakers foot race Sunday morning, race officials said.

    Bay to Breakers representatives sent out on Twitter photos of Kenisi and Johnson raising their arms as they broke through banners at the end of the 7.46-mile race shortly after 9 a.m. today.

    Race organizers said that about 40,000 runners registered and took part in the race through San Francisco. But many others did not register, and it was estimated that about 100,000 spectators were at Sunday morning's event.

    "It’s the people watching. It's the support of the city. It's getting down to the breakers and partying afterwards," runner Michael Raffee said. "It's the quintessential San Francisco party every year."

    San Francisco police cleared the start of the foot race after about a 25-minute delay, police said. The delay happened because equipment on the route needed be set up, a city spokesman said.

    At least three people were injured during the race. They suffered from minor injuries and were
    transported to a hospital, San Francisco Department of Emergency Management spokesman Francis Zamora said.

    San Francisco police said at least 28 people were arrested at Sunday's race, but for the most part, the race went smoothly. Most of the arrests were for public intoxication, police said.

    Alcohol was banned from the race a few years ago, but some people still found a way to drink either before or during the race. There was also heightened security this year, with a 20-percent increase in the number of police officers patrolling the race.

    Bay to Breakers officials said that the 12K race, from downtown San Francisco west to Ocean Beach, was to end at 10:30 a.m. but that was before the race was postponed for 25 minutes this morning. The race officially ended at about noon and was followed by the Finish Line Festival at Ocean Beach.

    Crews were still working to break everything down, and the Great Highway reopened Sunday evening.