Trump Administration Pulls $1B for California Rail Project - NBC Bay Area
President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump

The latest news on President Donald Trump's presidency

Trump Administration Pulls $1B for California Rail Project

The money is critical to the project and could kill it

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    The Dos and Don'ts of Good Sleep

    The Trump administration cancelled nearly $1 billion Thursday in federal money for California's high-speed rail project, further throwing into question the future of the ambitious plan to connect Los Angeles and San Francisco.

    California Gov. Gavin Newsom immediately pledged to take the administration to court.

    "The Trump Administration's action is illegal and a direct assault on California," he said in an emailed statement. "This is California's money, appropriated by Congress, and we will vigorously defend it in court."

    The Federal Railroad Administration's official word it was cancelling the money came several months after President Donald Trump and Newsom sniped at each other over the project. The FRA said in a statement that it's still exploring whether it can force California to return $2.5 billion the state has already spent.

    High Speed Rail Line from Merced to Bakersfield Shut Down

    [BAY] High Speed Rail Line from Merced to Bakersfield Shut Down

    The High Speed Rail Authority released its latest project update which scales back the original route going from San Francisco to Los Angeles, but critics and even supporters of high speed rail are less convinced, saying this isn’t what the public signed up. Investigative reporter Stephen Stock reports on a story that first aired May 3, 2019

    (Published Friday, May 3, 2019)

    Trump made the rail line an issue when he seized on Newsom's remarks in February that the project as planned would cost too much and take too long.

    Newsom has shifted the project's immediate focus to a 171-mile line in the state's Central Valley, but he said he's still committed to building the full line.

    Still, federal officials said California has repeatedly failed to make "reasonable progress" and abandoned the original vision.

    CA Lawmaker Calls for Probe After NBC Bay Area Investigation

    [BAY] CA Lawmaker Calls for Probe After NBC Bay Area Investigation

    A California lawmaker is now calling for an official probe into the state’s high speed rail project in response to an NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit probe into overspending and underperformance at California’s High Speed Rail Authority.

    (Published Tuesday, April 30, 2019)

    Voters initially approved about $10 billion in bond funds for the project in 2008. It faced repeated cost overruns and delays since then. It's now projected to cost more than $77 billion and be finished by 2033.

    While the $929 million is a critical piece of the project's funding plan, state rail officials were not expecting to access the money until 2021, according to a recently released project update. If a court battle over the money drags on, that could put the state in position to win the money back or get more from the federal government if Democrats win the White House and control of Congress in 2020.

    Still, the move to withdraw the money is a problem for the project, which is chronically underfunded.

    High-Speed Rail: Disputed Charges and Questionable Billing

    [BAY] High-Speed Rail: Disputed Charges and Questionable Billing

    NBC Bay Area reviewed a list of all contractors paid by California’s High Speed Rail Authority, hundreds of documents in all. The team found more than $100 million worth of contracts and invoices flagged by manages known as "disputed invoices." Senior investigative reporter Stephen Stock reports on a story that first aired March 4, 2019.

    (Published Monday, March 4, 2019)

    The $3.5 billion the state has been awarded in federal money is dedicated to pay for an initial segment of track under construction in the Central Valley and to complete environmental reviews on the entire 520-mile line.

    The $1 billion the administration has withdrawn is about one-twelfth of the money the state is counting on to pay for the initial line.

    Officials highlighted the possibility of losing the money in a new business plan released in early May. They said losing the money would force the state to re-evaluate whether it can provide early train service in the Central Valley and require rail officials to look for funding elsewhere.