Window-Washing Rig Dangles From Embarcadero One - NBC Bay Area

Window-Washing Rig Dangles From Embarcadero One

Rig secured by 9:30 a.m.



    Christie Smith reports from San Francisco where a window washer had to perform a Spiderman type move to help secure a window washing rig that slipped over the side of a high rise tower early Friday morning. (Published Friday, Sept. 13, 2013)

    Authorities closed off some streets in San Francisco's Financial District Friday morning for more than two hours as a window-washing rig hung precariously from a high-rise at Embarcadero One.

    Police said no one was on the scaffolding platform when it slipped over the edge.

    "The thing weighs almost 2,000 pounds, so I talked to the guy, the engineer, who is in charge and asked, 'Is this thing in danger of falling?' The look on his face. I said, 'Hey we better get up there'", San Francisco Battalion Chief Marty Ross said. .

    The rig  was first reported dangling about 7 a.m. from the 40th floor of a 41-story high building at 301 Clay Street.

    RAW VIDEO: Window Washing Rig Dangles

    [BAY] RAW VIDEO: Window Washing Rig Dangles
    Lots of people were looking up in the skies of downtown San Francisco Friday morning.
    (Published Friday, Sept. 13, 2013)

    As a precaution, police closed Battery Street between Sacramento and Clay streets and also shut down the 28th through 30th floors of the building where the rig was located. A nearby building was also evacuated because it was directly below the dangling rig.

    A window washer performed a spiderman-like move down the side of the building on a tether to secure the rig. He was successful and the rig was pulled back up and over the edge of the building.

    Meanwhile, a crowd of onlookers gathered below to watch the unusual sight.

    RAW VIDEO:  Window-Washing Rig Dangles

    "Everybody was looking up. I thought it was worse. Fortunately no one was on it. A little bit shocking," Lynn Moreno said.

    Police reported the window-washing rig had been secured at about 9:20 a.m..

    Everything reopened at 9:38 a.m., the fire official said.

    San Francisco Municipal Railway buses on the 1-California and 41-Union routes were temporarily rerouted around the scene, Muni officials said.

    No injuries were reported. It was immediately clear how the rig came to be in such a precarious position.