Officials say two abalone divers were flown by helicopters to safety in two separate incidents on the Sonoma County coast.
The Sonoma County Sheriff's Department says a 61-year-old Daly City man collapsed after he got out of the water at Fort Ross. After getting CPR, the man was flown to a local hospital. His status is not available.
While flying to the first incident, officials received a call from friends of another diver who reported him missing. Officials soon found 48-year-old Nathan Ng of Millbrae on a rock where he had been stranded.
Ng told officials that he became disoriented, swam the wrong way and was too tired to make it to shore.
The spring abalone season opened April 1 and runs through the end of June.
Eight people died in 2008 while abalone diving off the coasts of Sonoma and Mendocino counties.