Two state officials deny an Associated Press report that California has rejected a plan by the federal government to send National Guard troops to the border.
The report said California had rejected the federal government's initial plans to send the state's National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration enforcement.
Both a spokesperson for Governor Jerry Brown's office and a commander with the California National Guard told NBC 7 the report is "inaccurate."
Acting U.S. Customs and Border Protection Deputy Commissioner Ronald D. Vitiello said Brown has determined that some tasks federal officials want the state's National Guard to perform at the U.S.-Mexico border are "unsupportable."
Vitiello made the comments to reporters in Washington Monday after two U.S. officials told The Associated Press said terms of the federal government's initial plans for sending National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration.
California National Guard Lt. Col. Tom Keegan told NBC 7 that state officials have not rejected the plan since a memorandum was sent to the federal government.
"State officials have not rejected anything since the Governor responded to the federal government last Wednesday," Keegan said. "The federal government has not yet responded. The next step is for the federal government to respond by signing the Memorandum of Agreement."
The AP report said California told federal officials last week it will not allow its troops to fix and repair vehicles, operate remotely-controlled surveillance cameras and perform other tasks under a Trump plan to send troops to the border.
The U.S. officials discussed the status of ongoing negotiations on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter, the AP report said.