Hundreds of residents in Campbell were evacuated from their homes Monday morning due to a leak from a broken 4-inch gas main at a construction project, a police captain said.
Campbell police received a report at 8:45 a.m. that a work crew at a building site on Hacienda Avenue hit the gas main, causing natural gas to escape, Capt. Gary Berg said.
Police, on the advice of the Santa Clara County Fire Department, began going to apartments and homes on the north side of the street between Virginia Avenue and Walnut Drive to remove residents to safety, Berg said.
"We're taking all the precautions just to be safe," Berg said.
Those evacuated included people living in "a large number" of multi-story apartment buildings and single-family homes, Berg said.
Residents were evacuated from 80 homes, Berg said. Others sheltered in place.
Crews from PG&E capped the leak by about 10:30 a.m.
#GasLeak Update: @PGE4Me is attempting to repair the 4" gas line. 80+ homes are being evacuated and directed to the Community Center. — CampbellPolice (@CampbellPolice) August 11, 2014