San Francisco

Carbon Monoxide Death in San Francisco Apartment Building

One person died after firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm in San Francisco's Parkside neighborhood early Wednesday morning.

The alarm was reported at 5:08 a.m. at a multi-unit building at 1255 Taraval St. and had apparently been sounding for hours, according to San Francisco fire officials.

Residents of the building were evacuated.

A high-profile carbon monoxide death in 1999 in Berkeley of a pregnant teenage girl, revealed that the apartment's owner, Lakireddy Bali Reddy, was illegally importing and employing illegal immigrants from India to work in his properties and sometimes be his sex slaves.

In 2001, he was convicted of human trafficking, conspiracy to commit immigration fraud and filing a false tax return.

Contact Us