San Francisco

Elderly Man Dies Following Carbon Monoxide Incident in San Francisco: FD

An elderly man died and two others were transported to the hospital Thursday following a carbon monoxide incident in San Francisco, according to a fire official.

At least six people were exposed during the incident, which occurred around 4:30 a.m. at a residential structure with two units located at 301 Moultrie St. in the Bernal Heights neighborhood, Lt. Jonathan Baxter with the San Francisco Fire Department said.

Arriving firefighters found four people from the upper unit complaining of symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning, Baxter said. Those people also told firefighters that two people were living in the downstairs unit.

Firefighters knocked on the lower unit's door, but no one answered, according to Baxter. Crews barged into the residence and found an unconscious elderly woman near the front door. She was rushed to the hospital in serious condition.

"We're commending the individuals from the upper levels for calling 911," Baxter said. "They basically saved the life of the lady who was unconscious that's currently at the hospital. If she had been exposed to these gases for any longer time, she probably would have been a fatality as well."

An unconscious elderly man was also found in the lower level residence, Baxter said. Crews tried to bring him back to life, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

One person from the upper level was transported to the hospital after complaining of symptoms, according to Baxter. The other residents were eventually allowed to go back inside.

Baxter said the odorless and colorless gas may have come from a water heater or heater, but an investigation is ongoing.

Baxter said the incident is a good reminder for all residents to have working carbon monoxide detectors in their homes and check with PG&E to make sure their heating sources are up and running properly.

"PG&E has a very important message as they're evaluating the scene right now and that is if you're opening up your appliances or starting your appliances, specifically your heaters cause it's getting cold, to call PG&E and they will actually come to your house and check your appliances," Baxter said.

PG&E customers can call 1-800-743-5000 to learn more about having their appliances inspected, Baxter said.

Contact Us