Cinco de Mayo is here and cities all over the Bay Area are celebrating.
But, first of all, why the celebration?
No, it is not Mexico’s independence Day -- that’s on September 16.
On May 5, 1862, Mexico defeated the French Empire in the Battle of Puebla which was a huge victory for the Mexican government.
Cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday in Mexico, but it’s become widely popular in the United States as a day to celebrate Mexican culture.
Here are some celebrations happening Thursday and over the weekend in the Bay Area:
Immersive Friday Kahlo Show
- This will be a benefit celebration to fundraise for the new Cultural Arts Healing Center in Carnal San Francisco.
- SVN West San Francisco, 10 South Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, 7 - 9 p.m.
Colibri Mexican Bistro Reopening
- The Mexican restaurants will open at their new location at Presidio Officers Club. On Cinco de Mayo, they will serve authentic Mexican dishes like pozole, flautas, tacos and guacamole.
- 50 Moraga Ave., San Francisco
Blast & Brew
- Enjoy some free chips, salsa and guacamole with every special drink purchase at Blast & Brew in San Jose.
- 55 River Oaks Place, Suite 60.
Cinco de Mayo at Zona Rosa
- Food, drinks, and a live DJ, what else can you ask for? Enjoy the party at 1411 The Alameda, 1411 The Alameda, San Jose at 11 a.m.
Cinco de Mayo Comedy Night
- Skewers N Brews is hosting a free comedy show in Downtown San Jose.
- 65 S First St, San Jose, CA -- 8 p.m.
Un-Cinco de Mayo Taco Tour
- Walk around Oakland’s Fruitvale neighborhood for a taste of their 17 taquerias while getting to know the history of the tasty tacos.
- 3401 E. 12th St., Oakland -- 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Cinco de Mayo Celebration Week
- From May 5 - 7, enjoy dance, food and drinks planned at the Livermore airport from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
“The Block” in Livermore
- Rose Fierro Cellars will be hosting live Latin music and tacos, along with wines by the glass and bottle, at 2245 S. Vasco Road, Livermore.
Cinco de Barko
- Bring your pups to the Alba Restaurant in Napa Thursday for some cocktails, snacks and prizes.
- 1600 Soscol Ave., Napa -- 5 p.m.
Salsa and Merengue Class
- Move to the music at Arthur Murray Dance Studio in Millbrae.
- You can join the party on May 5 from 8-9:30 p.m.
Cinco de Mayo Mixology Experience
- Create your own drinks at a hands-on mixology experience at Pao Craft Cocktails where you’ll learn how to make your own margarita flight.
- Twenty8 Balloon Co., 171 Fifth Ave., Suite 204, Redwood City 7 p.m.