The public was invited to Covered California health care fairs across the Bay Area this weekend to get information about free and low-cost plans.
The deadline to sign up and avoid paying a fine is midnight Sunday. People said they were surprised at how affordable some plans were.
"Wow, it's a blessing actually that I was able to come into this program," fair attendee James Walker said. "You know, if I had to pay $600 a month, I would likely be going to the county facilities."
The best way to enroll is through the Covered California website. Or, people can go to one of the public health care fairs Sunday.
Here are the list of Bay Area locations for Sunday's fairs:
- 1 p.m. to midnight at Lake Chalet on Lake Merritt, 1520 Lakeside Dr., Oakland (hosted by Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf)
- 1-4 p.m. at Union City Library, 34007 Alvarado-Niles Rd., Union City
- 1-4 p.m. at San Lorenzo Library, 16032 Hesperian Blvd., San Lorenzo
- 1-3 p.m. at Olivet Church Oakland, 1125 West St., Oakland
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Valley Baptist Church, 19835 Lake Cabot Rd., Castro Valley
- 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Saint Leander School, 451 Davis St., San Leandro
As long as you start an application by Sunday, you have until Feb. 20 to complete your application.