A family in Vallejo was displaced on July 4 after firefighters say a blaze, most likely caused by fireworks set off illegally, started a one-alarm fire in their garage.
Fire spokesman Anthony Shair-Ali said the fire was reported about 1:15 a.m. on the 100 block Dieninger Street after fireworks were set off at the side of the house. No one was injured, but he estimated there was $100,000 in property loss and the two adults and one child were forced to evacuate.
Off camera, the homeowner told NBC Bay Area that he doesn't believe it was fireworks that started the blaze, but rather a faulty appliance inside the home.
Throughout the Bay Area, firefighters were racing to stamp out fires, also started by illegal fireworks. One of those was a grass fire in Pittsburg, another was a fire that spread to a roofing company in Brentwood.