Oakland officials released the following information about the general strike Wednesday.
November 2, 2011
9:30 pm Update on Demonstrations Associated with “General Strike”
Oakland, CA—At 9:30 pm this evening at the Emergency Operations Center, Mayor Jean Quan, City Administrator Deanna Santana, Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan, and Port of Oakland Executive Director Omar Benjamin conducted a media briefing to provide updates on the demonstrations in Oakland associated with Occupy Oakland and the General Strike.
“It appears that literally thousands of people have demonstrated primarily peacefully today in Oakland,” said Mayor Quan. “We are disappointed in a small group that partook in acts of vandalism. It appears that people are disassembling peacefully. We will be watching throughout the night and we are focused on moving ahead tomorrow.”
“We are happy that today’s activities were primarily peaceful,” said City Administrator Santana. “Tomorrow, City offices will be up and running.”
“The Oakland Police Department continues to facilitate peaceful assembly,” said Chief Jordan. “People are here to exercise their First Amendment rights.”
“We continue to emphasize the paramount importance of safety and security,” said Port Executive Director Benjamin.
The following is a summary of the situation status as of 9:00 pm.
Oakland Police Department Operations
· The crowd at Frank Ogawa Plaza and the surrounding streets is currently estimated at 900.
· The crowd in the Port of Oakland area is estimated at 150 people, down from 4,500 earlier in the evening.
· Everything appears to be peaceful.
· There have been no additional acts of vandalism beyond those reported earlier.
· Tomorrow will be a regular work day, and the City will be open during regular business hours.
Port of Oakland Operations
# # #